Everything You Need To Know About Obamacare Insurance Companies

Oct 06, 2022 By Triston Martin

The Affordable Care Act (ACA), sometimes known as "Obamacare," has created a Marketplace for each state under which residents may shop for various insurance plans. The following are five of the best insurance providers that are available under Obamacare:

What Services Are Included in Each Plan

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is implemented across the country via several health exchanges to ensure all Americans have access to medical insurance. On these exchanges, you can shop around for different insurance policies. The Marketplace plans provided by these firms are tiered, allowing you can choose the total amount of monthly premiums you are responsible for paying. By law, every program offered via the Marketplace must provide coverage for the following ten necessities:

  • The emergency service providers
  • Services for outpatients and ambulatory patients
  • Services oriented at prevention and wellbeing
  • Care for expectant mothers and newborn infants
  • Pediatric services
  • Benefits of Hospitalization and Rehabilitation
  • Prescription drugs
  • Services related to laboratories

Mental Health And Substance Abuse Services

If you need the services of a specialist, some or all of the associated expenses may be covered by your plan; however, you will need a referral from your regular care physician. Depending on the size of your home and the amount of money you bring in each month, you might be eligible for a subsidy that would cover a portion of the premium for the Marketplace plan you choose.


You may also find UnitedHealthcare on the Marketplace established by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), even though it is the most significant health insurance provider in the United States. Shoppers in the Marketplace may choose from one of three levels of service provided by the company:

  • Bronze: The plan pays 60%, and you are responsible for 40% of the cost.
  • Silver: The plan pays 70%, and you are responsible for the remaining 30%.
  • Gold: The plan pays 80%, and you are responsible for the remaining 20%.

Plans provided by UnitedHealthcare may be found in the states of Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Virginia, and many more.


Cigna participates in the Obamacare exchange in the following states: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, and Utah. Your plan, the state in which you live, and the medical services rendered will each impact the co-pays and deductibles that apply to you. The Cigna summary of benefits and coverage provides information on the benefits, co-pays, and deductibles associated with each plan available via the Cigna health care exchange in each of the 50 states.

Centene (Ambetter)

Centene is an insurance company that is listed on public markets. In 2018, it increased the number of customers it served via the Obamacare health insurance market. Ambetter is a product offered by Centene that serves as the company's health insurance marketplace (HIM). It is currently available in 26 states.

Each plan provides coverage for all of the necessary health benefits. Vision and dental care are included under specific policies as well. On the Ambetter website, choosing your state will bring up detailed information regarding premiums, deductibles, and co-payments, along with the specifics of each plan offered in each state. This information includes the particulars of each project.


Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield are currently participating in the Obamacare exchanges in the 12 states. However, coverage is only limited to Virginia and Missouri. In Missouri, thirty counties around Kansas City are not included in the range (it excludes the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C.). These are the four types of Anthem health care exchange plans that are available to customers:

  • Bronze: The plan pays 60%, and you are responsible for 40% of the cost.
  • Silver: The plan pays 70%, and you are responsible for the remaining 30%.
  • Gold: The plan pays 80%, and you are responsible for the remaining 20%.
  • Platinum: The plan pays 90%, and you are responsible for 10% of the cost.

The plan selections, deductible, and co-pay amounts will change depending on the state in which you live and the kind of plan you have. By entering your ZIP code on the Anthem website, you will have access to various shopping options, including those for individuals and families.

Healthcare provided by Molina

Molina Healthcare operates in the health care marketplace in 14 states, including California, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Through the Marketplace for health insurance, it provides the following categories of plans:

  • Molina Bronze Plans: These are the most affordable plans. However, they do not include any coverage for preventative care.
  • Molina Silver Plans are low-cost plans that provide some of the industry's best rates for urgent care and doctor visits.

Plans offered by Molina have lower overall expenditures, including those for things like doctor visits and out-of-pocket expenses, but often have higher premiums.

Related Articles