File An Extension For Taxes

Jan 02, 2023 By Triston Martin

Because the deadlines for doing your taxes have a habit of sneaking up on you, requesting an extension on filing them may be something you need to do at some time in your life. If you need extra time to compile your tax return, the IRS will grant you a six-month filing extension if you apply for one.

How to file for an extension on taxes? This request may be made by sending Form 4868 to the IRS, which can be postponed if you are experiencing a temporary loss of organizational capacity due to, for example, being away at school, traveling for work, experiencing a family emergency, or just being unorganized. There is a deadline for that as well, but the good news is that obtaining an extension is much simpler than you may think it would be. Here is the information you want, from dates and paperwork to specific guidelines and regulations.

Filing for a Tax Extension: Form 4868

Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is to be submitted if you need more time to file your individual income tax return. The day your tax return is traditionally expected to be submitted coincides with the deadline for requesting an extension to file it. This occurs on April 15 or the next weekday if the 15th falls on a weekend, as in most years.

You can submit your request for an extension in either written or electronic format, and it does not cost anything to do so. In either case, you will be required to provide identification information and information regarding your individual income tax situation.

In addition, some checkboxes allow you to indicate whether you are a citizen or resident of the United States who is currently living outside of the country or whether you file Form 1040-NR, which is income tax return which non resident may be required to file if they conducted business in United States during tax year, or if they earned income from sources within the United States in any other way. Form 4868 may be downloaded from the Internal Revenue Service website, just like all other tax forms. Form 4868 is one of the many forms and publications that can be found under the area labeled "Forms, Instructions, and Publications." You can find the full list there.

File a Tax Extension Request Online

You may electronically submit tax forms to IRS computers using a tool called IRS e-file. This application enables you to upload tax documents, including Form 4868, directly to IRS computers. By submitting Form 4868 electronically via IRS e-file on your own, using free or for sale tax software, or with the assistance of a tax expert that utilizes e-file, you may request an automatic extension to file your tax return and avoid penalties.

In any event, you will be sent an email acknowledgment that you may preserve your other financial documents for future reference. This free service gives taxpayers alternatives for e-filing and the production of federal tax returns. If your income is higher than the threshold, you are eligible to utilize the Fillable Forms tool provided by the IRS. Some firms also provide tax software that provides free returns filing under certain circumstances.

File a Tax Extension Request by Mail

Form 4868 may also be submitted in a paper if the user chooses. You may request a paper form to be shipped to you by completing an order form on the IRS website, or you can download the form from the website of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You also have the option of calling the IRS at the following number: 800-829-3676 to place an order for a form. It's also possible that your neighborhood post office or library has copies. Notably, if you are a taxpayer who pays taxes based on the fiscal year rather than the calendar year, you must file Form 4868 on paper.

Special Rules

Two unique conditions must be met before the IRS will grant a request to extend the deadline for making a tax payment.

Out of the country

You do not need to petition for an extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and, on the regular due date of your return, you are:

  • Living outside of the United States of America and Puerto Rico, with your primary place of employment or station of duty being outside of the United States of America and Puerto Rico.
  • For purposes of military or naval service stationed outside of the United States and Puerto Rico.
Related Articles